To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Value of Venting -- to friends

At lunch yesterday I was apologizing to friends who work in another non-profit about how pitiful some of my attitudes are at times about my work-- because I really am passionate about the work---but a few people (or even just one, sometimes) can sour that experience for a day, or a week. .or make your life miserable for about a month. . But I can't imagine any other work place I'd rather be.

You can't imagine how good I felt when one wise older woman said: that's what venting is for!. .You've gotta have friends to vent to, if not we'd just explode!. .. we laughed. .

yes. . and we have to laugh at ourselves too. . I've found that is what happy hours should really be all about. . not just to bitch and be angry about work. . .but to get past that. .and forget it, so that the next day you can go back in and begin all over again.
If you don't imbibe. .then at least find some friends that you can have a different kind of happy hour with. . . do what you enjoy doing most. . .a book review (I have a good friend that invites me to that occasionally). . a concert. .or a play.

my new-found volunteer role in the Wichita Community Theatre has already proven to be a good 'outlet' also.. .more on that another day/blog.
thanks for listening/reading. LM

No comments: