To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Friday, April 25, 2008

Spring is for ???

Each year I wonder if nature is really more prolific than the last, or if I'm just noticing it more. Here in Wichita, every kind of blooming tree is in bloom at the same time, and the ones that don't bloom are turning green also. The tulips are near perfect. There has been no hail or high winds to make things look ragged, like some years. It is near picture perfect. and so. . .if it doesn't storm tonight perhaps I should go out tomorrow and get some pictures. I have nothing better to do. .might stop at the Farm and Art Market also. .

Redbuds and lilacs and crabapples and pear trees. Bright pink crepe mytrles. Flowering red quince along the highways. Spring is so important to remind us that no dark night (or winter) lasts forever. Just as the moon rises each night, and the sun comes up. . so too the trees and bugs and birds return.
The wallpaper border I chose for my living room has butterflies and bulbs and flowers. .
there is a simple and beautiful contemporary church ballad: in the bulb there is a flower, in the seed an apple tree .
and yet, sadly, in many places around this world there are no trees due to deforestation. This is something I am just learning about in my work. And people are actually going without enough food to eat. It is difficult to imagine what life would be without an education or being able to read or write.
I spent about a week in Haiti last summer. Although the area I visited was not the slum of Port au Prince, the people still have to walk blocks to the community water spigot along side the road, and often wash their clothes (an extra set or 2) right there--probably without soap. They always appear to be very clean. I can't say what really made the strongest impression me, except for the fact that even where the people were bathing and washing their clothes in the polluted river near where it emptied into the bay, there was nothing that smelled bad. In the heat of summer, people did not seem to perspire or have body odor. And yet, I did not smell strong smells of nature either. as I recollect that important week in my life, there are many things to make me think. . This week-end I will be polishing and submitting my resume' and letter of introduction to the board of directors, nearly 2 years after I first applied for the job of President and was not selected. Now they have invited me to apply again. Life is good. LM

No comments: