To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Saturday, April 26, 2008

God Thing or Coincidence?

This morning I had nothing scheduled, so I am a bit amazed at how a few things came together.
1) for months, I've collecting unwanted clothes and trying to determine the best place to drop them for someone else's use. My choices are a. to drop them at the closest DAV (DisAbled Veterans) Thrift store-- most convenient, but they re-sell. b. Find the time to sort them and take some to a Professional Women's re-sale or United Methodist Urban Ministries Clothes Closet-- also a hassle to find when they are open. c. I've been reading in the Good Shepherd Episcopal Church's newsletter about a sister church here in Wichita (close to my house) that gives away clothes, and they especially need larger women's sizes--which I have some of from the girls.. .But--again, when to find someone there to accept them?

Earlier this week, I put them all in my car's backseat, determined to drop them somewhere. Today, I went by the St. Bartholew Episcopal (St. Bart's) on S. Meridian and saw a number of cars there. so I stopped. they were glad to take them, and in the process I was able to share my theological opinion (somewhat invited) about a dilemma that I perceived they may be having: getting people in their neighborhood to 'join' an Episcopal church.. .They were having a retreat of their vestry members (leadership). . One younger woman just hugged me, and said this is definitely a 'god thing'. .that you came by today. She had been feeling similar to what I was talking about. . .and so I encouraged her to share her real feelings in the meeting-- as the Spirit was working to prompt her to bring out the truth and etc. etc. .
Plus, now I may feel more comfy visiting there myself.
1b) It was about 6 years ago this month that I visited Good Shepherd Episcopal (at the suggestion of a friend via email) and ended up getting a job within the following month--Christian Ed Director. Never had I been active or connected to an Episcopal Church, other than visiting one a couple times while in seminary.

2). .a young male waiter at the restaurant/bar (Larkspur) I've gone to several times recently for Happy Hour was in the grocery store. He had shared with me during Happy Hour time that he had been going through a 'nasty divorce'. .and I was again in a listening 'chaplain' mode.. Today he was in the grocery store aisle as I was shopping, and we both remembered each other. He said he was going to get 'the girls' later today-- and had the week-end off (after working a long week). .so that was his news. . Mine-- I didn't figure he'd relate, so I didn't even bother to share--just gave him a little advice about not expecting children ages 3 & 8 to know what they'd want to eat if he just asked. We agreed that he would have been better off just bringing them. .

so. .another thought-provoking event (for me). I had never before really expressed or read of the idea that children may not have the ability to project or 'plan' what they desire/want to eat, without seeing it. commercials on TV, radio, or driving by a restaurant would prompt their decision, but doubtful their stomachs or brains would reason what they want. .
what do you think?. .what is your experience? children may not be as picky as we make them.

I remember that we thought Eleanor should have a variety, because she'd get tired of eating the same thing all the time (as we do). .when she was first eating baby food.. .
in the end, I think she would have been willing to eat a constant diet of sweet potatoes, if that is all we had ..
of course, that would not be balanced, but heck-- food is food, if it satisfies a baby's hunger. . .and the same probably applies for anyone that is hungty. Rice or beans. .or fish-- everyday of the week is okay if you are hungry and that is all there is to eat. Perhaps--Only mothers think that they must be creative and have an obligation to fix some kind of a variety. Maybe we are bored of preparing the same-o-same -0. .
Just some thoughts.
LM

No comments: