To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Thursday, May 8, 2008

rain, rain. .go away

Mother's Day is coming up, and it gives me pause to think about being a mom.
I think of my mom (91 years) still married to my 99 year-old dad. my ex- mom in law- a widow; my daughter in law, and my daughter. .
my early days as a mom were in the 70's when the 'liberated woman' was coming on the scene. I did want to work, and it was a problem in our marriage. Over the years, my desire to have a life of my own, as well as be a mom didn't seem to present as much of a problem to my children as to my husband.
Rainy days. .just make me think about things. .being 'trapped' inside. .
Cabin fever. .things I know that young mothers still suffer, whether they work or not.
men will never really understand what is unique about being a mother. .

but we moms must stick together, and recognize the importance of supporting each other-- the older of the younger. .and the necessity of social networks while children are growing up.
Hopefully, as we become even better educated we will not lose the innate wisdom that only women can pass on to younger women, and mothers to daughters. Sisterhood is important! don't lose those connections.
LM

1 comment:

phynngrrl said...

Just read in the Eagle that you guys had quite a ruckus in the neighborhood last night. Something about a police car chase and shooting at some dumb criminals at McCormick and Glenn.

Hope nobody got too riled up.