To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom's Day

I wonder how often we offend women who are NOT moms by making the blanket 'Happy Mom's Day' to all women?
I know that not being married, or not able to conceive or bear a child can be a heavy burden for many women, and perhaps many of us who are moms, take that for granted--especially if getting pregnant was not a problem for us.

Today, 2008 Mom's Day, was not too unique of one. . even though I must be thankful for the fact that my mom is 91, and relatively healthy, still able to cook and care for herself and my dad in their home. However, she did admit to me that she is 'always tired, now.' Perhaps she is always in pain, too, but she has never really 'known' or acknowledged pain.

As hard as they try not to, my parents are still amassing 'things'.. .Growing up in the Depression, and being in an uneducated poor family, Mom is not one to care to 'live the simple life'. .like some people in the generation slightly younger than her, as well as a few in the 'boomer' category like me. She admits that she doesn't know how or where to start to sort through the things that she and Dad have gathered in 70 years of marriage.. ."that will be you & your sister's job'. .she says with a smile. We often wonder together if her grandchildren or great grandchildren would want any of the stuff. . what value will it have?
As usual, of course, she encouraged each of us at the table (who had already overeaten) to 'have some more'. . there is still more ham, potatoes. .etc. etc.

LM

No comments: