To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Sunday, May 18, 2008

from Creation to doctrine

It was interesting to note in today's worship that we started at the beginning of the OT. Creation story. .going back to the basics-- from Genesis 1. that we should be reminded that WE humans had nothing to do with it.

However, the "church" (Christianity--as an institution) which is recognized as beginning a mere 2000 years ago, may be a major factor in how life has become so complicated. The priest's simple message reminded us in the Trinity Sunday homily that it took 300 years for the early Christian leaders to try to define in words something that is mainly indefinable. This juncture was between the Hebrew traditions and the Jews' understanding of 'G_D', as opposed to the urge to explain or re-interpret an understanding of God based on Jesus' life and teachings.
thus we have church 'doctrine': The Nicene creed, which is still used today. Trying to define Pentecost. . and they invented 'the Trinity.'
.. man's attempts to put spiritual faith and belief and relationships into words. or as he said: trying to balance faith and reason.
A difficult task. because---
faith without reason become fanaticism.
reason without faith becomes tyranny.
those were his words, and worth sharing, I feel. I hope I did them justice. Fr. Bob Hutchinson is a humble and wise servant. I like him, and the people at St. Bart's Episcopal enough to go again.
Maybe I have found a church that fits me again. I hope so.
It has come at another key point in my pilgrimage. New job/role in my career; new church family.

I wish for each of you to find a place to worship or find church family where you feel you 'fit'.
Blessings & Peace. LM

No comments: