To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Independence

In the play "Moon Over Buffalo" the character Ethel is a has-been actress--or just living vicariously in her actress daughter's state career. Throughout the play there are selective lyrics from Shakespeare and other plays that weave about 3 plots together. But, I am often most intrigued by reading between the lines of the character development. As the 'manager' of the dressing room, Ethel's opening lines are from Shakespeare:
. .but, to sing, to laugh, to dream; to walk in my own way; to be alone.
Free. With an eye to see things as they are.
To travel any road under the sun.

WOW. . I can relate. Ethel is pretty feisty, especially with her son-in-law--even tho she is quite hearing impaired. Being cast for this part in Community Theatre is such a perfect avocation at this time in my life. I have no attachments or evening obligations, and nights and week-ends are often rather long. Those are the times of rehearsals and performances , so it provides great stimulation for the mind, and some physical exercise as a volunteer to create the set, as well.
I'm lovin' it. life is good.
LM

No comments: