To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Planning a special vacation

Interesting how some people decide about their vacations. Some go to the same (comfortable) spot every year. .they have invested in what is familiar and it becomes a second home-- a getaway. .in the mountains, on sea-shore, a cabin on a lake.
To me, that seems like work, if you must also be responsible for the upkeep and bills etc. . .not my idea of a vacation.
When my children were small, we tried 'camping out' at a small area lake with a tent, and a coleman stove. The lake was crowded with boats, skiers (we didn't) and families letting their toddlers swim in their diapers --before the days of disposables & such things. . In fact, one hot summer, that lake became a health hazard from such habits, and had to be closed to swimming.

One summer we went to a 'resort' where the kids would ride horses, we could swim in a pool, sit by a lake, or just stay in the hotel-like room. that was the first & last real 'vacation' I recall that had a mix of leisure and relaxation and fun. .I didn't have to cook or take down the tent, or pack up the stuff and fishing poles, clean any fish, etc.. .

well. .vacation is not my favorite topic; I grew up in a family where there were no vacations-- except a trip to visit relatives in Colorado--but not the mountains.. .and there was not entertainment for the kids involved.

In recent years, I have taken 'retreats' to a few spiritual retreat centers and enjoyed seeing the scenery and being in a calming place with water; generally I also prefer to vacation when it is cool, not hot.
SOOO, imagine what my family thought when I announced I plan to go to Canada and spend 10 days, with 4 of them sleeping outdoors in a sleeping bag. .and the others in a 'camp'-- learning First Nation culture and seeing museums, glaciers and volcanic beds, and salmon streams, spending one day on a fishing boat in the Bering Sea. Learning what is necessary and intuitive for those who can live next to nature. . no I don't own a fishing pole. .or a canoe. But I did buy a sleeping bag last year-- in preparation for just such an opportunity as this.

I will have to purchase or borrow a few things: a pocket knife, and binoculars. .otherwise, I should have the basics. the rest will be provided.. . and no driving. if cooking is involved, it will be a 'team' effort.. . it will be a true NEW experience. I will know afterward if I ever want to do such a thing again. Maybe I will have satisfied my curiosity-- depending on how many insect bites I get, and how much sleep I don't get.
this may become a new passion. .it will definitely be a get-away. .and a learning experience too.

If you want to join me/this group-- check out www.rediscovery.org and look under the Soaring Spirits Training topic. The cost for 10 days is only 1200 Canadian $, which I'm told will be a real bargain for folks from the US.
Hope to see you in British Columbia-- July 17-27. If you can't make it, I'll have a good crop of new photos when I return. LM

No comments: