To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Still, I wonder--about change

There are really so many things that make me wonder. .most of them are about people and their actions or decisions or inactions. This past week I have had the pleasure of great conversations with people of like minds on the topic of change. It seems to be part of politics, personal relationships, psychology, business, technology. . life is really all about change. .

Why is it, then, that some people seem to resist the idea of change so vehemently? Why do some folks embrace change and others avoid it 'like the plague'?
I would suppose it has mostly to do with fear. .but fear of what?. .that list could be pretty short, or rather long.
I wish I didn't have to think I was just talking to myself here, and could hear the dialog from anyone out there who is reading this. LM

3 comments:

phynngrrl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
phynngrrl said...

Better the evil you know than the one you don't. ;)

Peter Edstrom said...

Maybe it's different on the coasts, but I find very few who embrace change. I suppose in one part it is the law of inertia, but certainly fear has a lot to do with it. Fear of the unknown, the uncomfortable, fear of simply not knowing. Young folks embrace change because they live with it daily. But once you've set up your fiefdom at work, you could go for years or even decades without needing to change. What was successfully before, will continue to be successfully now ... even if it is a little less successful. And if there is nothing that forces a change, a simple "it's a good idea" won't encourage anyone to step out and try something new. More on this topic (mostly from a technical perspective) on my blog http://www.edstrom.net/blog Peter