To Make You Think

To Make You Think
Einstein & Me

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Green Beans & New Potatoes

There are a few annual rituals that tend to creep into my cooking habits. During gardening season--the full heat of summer--I usually cook up at least one pot (now in the crock-pot) of fresh garden green beans with small new red potatoes. The seasoning includes plenty of salt, onions, some chunks of ham, or--as in my situation today--bacon, if no ham is available--salty pork, but not too fatty. And, if I can get it, fresh dill. Today, I will use dry dill weed. The beans need to cook longer than the potatoes, so I'll add them about 45 minutes before I want to eat.

Another summer cultural sidedish, that my kids rarely eat is cucumber salad. I have modified my own recipe to make it almost a sweet-n-sour oil & vinegar dressing. This cucumber salad is simply sliced cucumbers and sliced onions, soaked in salt water, and then nearly all of that water is poured off. This softens and somewhat marinates the veggies before the dressing is added. I grew up with cream (soured from the vinegar) added shortly before it is eaten. The low German name for this is "gulga". .who knows what that means. .

when it gets cooler, we'll talk about soup and galushkies during the holidays. Any one coming to meet my parents needs to be prepared for interesting food. LM

No comments: